Auto Insurance in Colorado, AND now in 34 other states!
Youthful & Young Drivers
We are your insurance guide to helping young drivers find the best insurance rates. It might seem hopeless at first, but that’s why agents like us are here!
Auto Insurance, Now in 34 states!
Finding The Best Rate For Our Young Drivers
Young Drivers Car Insurance Guide
You couldn’t wait for the day when Mom and Dad handed over the keys to your first car. A vehicle symbolizes freedom, of being one step closer to becoming an adult and it also means being financially responsible for your actions while driving a car. Wait, what? Pump the breaks, being responsible for what?
Financial responsibility or insurance, you know it’s that little piece of paper in your glove box that says you are covered in the event of an accident. Well, somebody has to pay to have that coverage, and now you are in the driver’s seat, and that somebody just might be you. So here is a little cheat sheet to help you understand auto insurance just a little bit better.
What Is A Youthful or Young Drivers Exactly?
Alas, one of the few times in life when youth is not necessarily a plus. You see insurance companies view drivers between the ages of 16-25 (sometimes higher depending on the company) as inexperienced and charge significantly higher rates for it.
Young Drivers tend to rack up speeding tickets twice as fast as more experienced drivers. Don’t be despaired, although you can’t convince the insurers to lower their premiums because you promise to be a safe driver; many will offer discounts for being a responsible automobile owner.
Best Insurance For Young Drivers
Young Drivers have your auto policy or are still with your parents, these five pro tips will help with the premiums.
- Pick a car that insurers deem safe or cheap to insure. Every year the insurance institute comes out with its “safest” cars list.
- Drivers with no tickets or accidents will have a lower premium, every year that your record is clean; your premiums will get better.
- Hit the books. Many companies will offer a good student discount if you are still in school.
- Companies like Progressive will offer a safe driver discount for no accidents or tickets in the last three years.
- Pay your bills on time. Don’t let your insurance lapse; look for paid-in-full discounts or automatic withdrawal discounts.
For more about other factors that go into your auto premiums, check our article about factors that determine your insurance rates
Do I Need Insurance as Young Drivers?
You absolutely need insurance. Now, whether you need your own policy or if you need to be added to your parent’s policy will depend on a few things.
- If you have a car and it is on your parent’s policy because it is titled to them, you will be added to their policy.
- Young Drivers, you don’t have a car but have a license you should be added to your parent’s policy.
- If you are still considered a young driver but purchased the vehicle yourself, you can be on your own policy.
Our auto insurance buyer’s guide will educate you on the coverages and limits offered on auto insurance policies.
If you are still a bit fuzzy on the ins and outs of auto insurance, we here at A Plus Insurance are happy to help.
INSURANCE SERVICES WE OFFER
Last Updated on by Crystal Farley