Car Insurance Rates in 2022
Why is car insurance so expensive?
If you have noticed your auto insurance premiums starting to skyrocket in 2022, you are not alone.
Insurance companies across the country have been adjusting car insurance rates, and no one is immune. No matter how good a driver you are, you will probably see your monthly payments increase.
So why is car insurance so expensive?
- Why is car insurance so expensive? – Understanding Rating Factors
- Why Is Car Insurance So Expensive: How Your Credit and Insurance Score Affect Your Rates
- INSURANCE SERVICES WE OFFER
- Why is car insurance so expensive? – Inflation in 2022
- Why is car insurance so expensive? – Action to take Now
- Who is A Plus Insurance?
- FIND US ON SOCIAL!
Why is car insurance so expensive? – Understanding Rating Factors
First off, it’s good to understand the rating factors that car insurance companies use to determine an individual’s auto rates. It could be possible that one or more of these factors are the reason your auto rates are high.
There are 6 major factors that go into making your car insurance rates. These factors include your marital status, age, gender, zip code, driving record, and vehicle characteristics.
- Marital Status-If you are a married individual most companies will offer a discount for this.
- Age-Your age is a factor due to your driving experience, if you are a youthful driver your rates will be higher in comparison to drivers over the age of 25.
- Gender– This is a highly debated topic, but the fact is, gender still plays a factor in most states in the U.S. The reason being is females pay less for their auto insurance than males, who are statistically a higher risk.
- Zip Code/City-Your zip code is a big factor with rates due to the level of population in your area. The higher populated a city is, the higher your rates will be.
- Driving Record-As you might have guessed, if you have accidents, tickets, or even minor violations on your record, your rates will be higher.
- Vehicle Characteristics-Lastly, your vehicle’s characteristics are important due to the value of your vehicle. The newer the vehicle, the higher the cost it will be to insure that vehicle.
Many of these factors are out of your control…age, gender, marital status, and even zip code. But thankfully, there are things you CAN control, such as your credit and insurance score.
Why Is Car Insurance So Expensive: How Your Credit and Insurance Score Affect Your Rates
|Insurance Company||Average Rate: Bad Credit||Average Rate:|
If you have a credit score below 670, this is considered a bad score. An insurance company will conclude that a bad score means someone will not be reliable in making their monthly payments, and this will mean higher monthly rates than a person with a good credit score.
While the impact on your rates can be significant, all hope isn’t lost for someone with bad credit! Besides working hard to improve your credit score, there are discounts you could still be eligible for. You can also pay your insurance premium in full, which will cut down on the overall cost of insurance as opposed to paying monthly.
Your insurance score can impact your rates in a negative way, or a positive way, so be sure to be responsible with that score if possible!
This means you should NOT switch from insurance company to insurance company, or cancel a policy with unpaid premiums.
Having prior insurance for at least 6 months can mean the difference between paying $30 to $50 more each month.
Some tips on how to improve your insurance rates include, taking care of your credit score, having prior insurance, asking for additional discounts, and always comparing quotes with multiple companies.
Each insurance company will vary with the discounts they offer, so always ask what you are eligible for.
Shopping around for the best rate will always pay off, no matter how long or annoying this process may take. Still, after doing all of this, why is car insurance so expensive?
INSURANCE SERVICES WE OFFER
Why is car insurance so expensive? – Inflation in 2022
Premiums can increase for many different reasons. In today’s day and age, inflation is a huge reason why rates are increasing throughout the U.S.
Other reasons include rate increases per area due to an increased amount of claims, or accidents. Changing your address to a higher populated zip code can also increase your rates. And, of course, if you find yourself with a new speeding ticket, or an accident this will also affect your rates in a major way.
Inflation can also be attributed to the pandemic as well. How does Covid-19 possible have anything to do with car insurance?
Driving behavior has returned to pre-pandemic levels, contributing to the high amount of accidents and claims this year.
The cost to repair and replace vehicles has also skyrocketed. Have you heard about the chip shortages? It’s so bad that car manufacturers are even shutting down plants. It’s madness! And it’s directly affecting auto insurance costs.
Why is car insurance so expensive? – Action to take Now
In addition to the above suggestions, such as taking care of your credit, and asking your insurance agent about discounts, there are things you can do to help reduce your auto insurance premiums.
- Adjust your Deductibles: Some insurance companies such as Progressive offer deductibles as high as $1500 for comprehensive and collision. The higher you set your deductible, the lower your monthly payments will be.
- Individual Driving Programs: Progressive uses a program called Snap Shot, National General utilizes something called Dynamic Driver, and you may have heard of Travelers’ program called Intelli Drive. These programs monitor driving habits and offer up to 30% off the total premium if you data to show your good driving habits.
- Discounts: We can’t stress enough, ask your agent about potential discounts. Something as simple as going paperless for example, can knock up to $50 off your entire premium. Take a look at the following discounts and see what you might qualify for:
|Paid in Full Discount|
|Anti lock brakes|
|Years of riding experience|
|Garaged or locked storage|
|Continuous Insurance Discount|
|Operator’s Education Course|
|Operators Safety Course|
|vehicle usage & Mileage|
|approved safety course|
Who is A Plus Insurance?
FIND US ON SOCIAL!
Make sure to check us out for daily tips and guidance on how to save money on insurance rates…don’t miss out!
Last Updated on February 16, 2022 by Veronica Moss