Auto Insurance, Now in 34 states!
Does Car Insurance Cover Theft From Car?
Learn How You Can Protect Yourself
By Amanda Moss
Does Car Insurance Cover Theft From Car?
Having your car stolen is a legitimate worry that many people have. Maybe your neighborhood has become a target recently. Maybe you keep your vehicle in a parking garage during work hours. Or maybe you like to run to the store late at night to grab that ice cream you’ve been thinking about all day. Whatever the case may be, what can you do to protect yourself from such a terrible injustice?
Does renters insurance cover car theft? Does car insurance cover theft from car? In this article we will answer those three questions.
Does Liability Only Cover Car Theft?
Does Car Insurance Cover Theft From Car? First, What is Liability? Simply put, it’s the most basic of insurance and protects you in case you were to cause an accident that resulted in bodily injury or property damage; thus having to pay out of pocket for those damages. It is required in almost every state.
But does car insurance cover theft from car? No, liability insurance does not. What about full coverage?
Does Full Coverage Cover Theft From A Vehicle?
Full Coverage is Liability + Comprehensive and Collision.
Collision covers any additional damages that may occur from colliding with an object or vehicle, regardless of who is at fault. Liability and Collision both do not cover car theft.
Comprehensive covers damage to your vehicle caused by non-collision events, such as weather. But does Comprehensive cover theft of a vehicle? Yes!
So, does car insurance cover theft from car? The answer is yes, only with comprehensive coverage added. But please note, though comprehensive coverage covers theft of a vehicle, it does NOT cover what is inside the vehicle. Also your insurer will pay you the Actual Cash Value of your vehicle. But keep in mind things like interest and depreciation.
If you are currently paying on your vehicle, you may consider adding Gap Coverage to your insurance policy because if the amount you owe is greater than the actual cash value of your vehicle, you could find yourself paying more than anticipated. Gap Coverage fills in the “gap” to an extent. Ask your insurance agent if Gap Coverage is for you.
Homeowners & Renters
Does Renters Insurance cover car theft? Does Homeowners Insurance? No, it does not. It does, however, cover the personal property inside of a stolen vehicle. Your home or renters insurance will provide you with the Actual Cash Value of your stolen items.
What does this mean? Let’s say you bought an apple iPhone (or Samsung I suppose) for $1,000 last year, but it’s been stolen. The actual cash value of the phone is now $700 because of depreciation and interest. You can, however, opt out of the actual cash value or replacement cost for a Addional price. Articles like expensive jewelry, camera, laptops may only be covered under a specific policy. So check with your insurance agent to see what your options are to protect the things you posses.
When Your Car Is Stolen
If your car is stolen, you need to act quickly and do these three things:
- Call the police to file an official report. This provides proof that your vehicle was stolen and increases the likelihood of recovering your vehicle.
- Notify your auto insurance company to file a claim.
- Notify your homeowners/renters insurance company to file a claim for any stolen items that were inside your vehicle.
Tips To Lower The Risk of Car Theft
- Keep your car locked at all times – even if you are only going to be away for just a few minutes.
- Park your vehicle in a well-lit area, like under a street light.
- Make sure your alarm is on and activated whenever you are away from your vehicle. If you don’t have an alarm, you might consider installing one.
- Do not leave your keys or valuables inside your vehicle.
- Always keep your windows closed completely when not inside the vehicle.
- Install a tracking system or a vehicle immobilizer system, which prevents thieves from hot-wiring your car.
- Liability only insurance will not cover theft of a vehicle.
- Auto Insurance does not cover any personal property taken from inside the vehicle, however, homeowners and renters policies do cover personal property.
- Comprehensive coverage will cover your vehicle in the unfortunate event your car was stolen.
So, does car insurance cover theft from car? Yes, comprehensive, otherwise known as “full coverage”, does!
INSURANCE SERVICES WE OFFER
Last Updated on by Amanda Moss