How Do Auto Insurance Claims Work
How Do Auto Insurance Claims Work-Filing An Auto Claim
Are you an insured driver, young driver and just got into an accident? I’m sure you have lots of questions and need to know what happens next. Let us help you. After an accident, you will need to file a claim with your auto insurance. Here is some information that will help you walk through filing a claim.
- First things first, figure out if a claim is worth filing with your insurance. Rule of thumb, is if the cost of damage is less than the rate increase that you will encounter, just don’t use your insurance coverage.
- A claim is filed by a policyholder to your insurance company, you are essentially asking for compensation for the loss or damage done to your vehicle.
- If you decide to file that claim, an adjuster from your insurance will reach out to you. Be prepared to fill out paperwork and answers questions during the claims process. The adjuster will be trying to get all the details. They will then tell you what all is covered and how much.
- Once the claim has been approved your insurance will issues payments to you or the other party on behalf of you. Usually states require insurers to pay the claims within 30 to 45 days. It does take a couple of weeks to get the claim processed and approved.
- A lot of people wonder if you can just keep the money that you get from the claim. IF your policy and your states laws allow you to, then you can keep it. If the damage done to your car is just cosmetic, then you may want to just use it on other repairs.
- Just know that when you file a claim, your insurance premiums will go up for 3-5 years. How much it goes up all depends on which kind of claim and the amount paid out, your auto company, claims history and if you have accident forgiveness or not.
Frequently Asked Questions About How Auto Insurance Claims Work
Q1: What should I do immediately after a car accident to start the insurance claims process?
A1: After a car accident, the first step to start the insurance claims process is to ensure the safety of everyone involved. Then, exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver(s), take photos of the accident scene, and notify your insurance company as soon as possible. Your insurer will guide you on the next steps.
Q2: What types of auto insurance claims are commonly filed?
A2: Common types of auto insurance claims include claims for accidents involving collisions with other vehicles, claims for damage caused by weather events, claims for theft or vandalism, and claims for injuries sustained in accidents. The specific type of claim you file depends on the nature of the incident.
Q3: How does the auto insurance claims process typically work?
A3: The auto insurance claims process typically involves reporting the incident to your insurer, providing relevant documentation and information, and having the damage assessed by an adjuster. Once your claim is approved, your insurer will either pay for repairs or provide compensation, depending on the coverage and circumstances of the claim.
|Other Insurance Guides by City
|Auto Insurance Spartanburg
|Auto Insurance Oklahoma
|Cheap Car Insurance Calhan
|Car Insurance Arizona
|Cheap Car Insurance Elgin
|Cheap Car Insurance Boulder
|Auto Insurance Colorado Springs
Last Updated on by Camron Moss