Cheap Motorcycle Insurance in West Virginia
West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance
West Virginians…did you know you were almost called…”Kanawha-ians?” Yep, your state was almost named Kanawha. There are probably a lot of facts you don’t know about the Mountain State…but hopefully you at least know the motorcycle laws…so you don’t end up in the Mountain State-penitentiary…
- West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance
- West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: State Requirements
- West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: How Do You Get a Motorcycle License?
- West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Laws You Need to Know
- West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Discounts to ask Your Agent About
- West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Cheapest Insurance Rates by City
- West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Rating Factors
- West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Motorcycle Safety Tips
- West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Liability Only Rates (by City)
- West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Full Coverage Options
- West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions
- Other West Virginia Insurance Guides
West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: State Requirements
If you are looking for the cheapest West Virginia motorcycle insurance rates, we are here to help. But make sure when looking to insure your car or motorcycle, you at least understand the state minimum requirements, so you are driving legally.
West Virginia requires motorcyclists to have at LEAST the following coverage:
$25,000 coverage for bodily injury per person
$50,000 coverage for bodily injury per accident
$25,000 coverage for property damage liability
West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: How Do You Get a Motorcycle License?
Now that you hopefully have your West Virginia motorcycle insurance required by the state, you need to also go through the complete process of getting a motorcycle license.
You can do this either one of two ways:
Add an endorsement onto your existing driver’s license
Obtain the motorcycle only license
You can accomplish either of these things by:
- Take and pass a written test and road test
- You also have the choice of doing the written test and completing a motorcycle training course ($100 for the course)
- Pay the Fee: The standard 5 year license fee in WV is $12.50
For more details, check out West Virginia’s Division of Motor Vehicles Site.
West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Laws You Need to Know
Based on the information above, you can rightly assume that West Virginia law requires you to have the proper liability insurance and have completed the proper motorcycle licensing steps.
You must also familiarize yourself with other West Virginia motorcycle requirements, so you don’t get stuck with a hefty fine…or worse thrown in a West Virginia jail.
Some things to remember:
- You must wear goggles, a face shield, or shatter-resistant safety glasses
- Your windshield must have shatter resistant material in compliance with DOT
- Protective helmet is REQUIRED for ALL riders and should have a functional neck/chin strap.
- Passengers are allowed, ONLY IF, motorcycle is equipped with a passenger seat, or sidecar. Sidecar must have a seatbelt.
- Head lamps are required to be on at all hours, tail lamps are also required.
- Lane Splitting is ILLEGAL
- Sharing a lane is permitted.
West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Discounts to ask Your Agent About
One of the many reasons why it’s a good idea to use an insurance broker or agent, is because they can tell you about a discount that you might qualify for…ones that you had no idea about!
Did you know about half of these discount types listed below?
|Motorcycle Insurance Discounts|
|Multi Lines Discount|
|Years of riding experience|
|Operators Safety Course|
|vehicle usage & Mileage|
|Continuous Insurance Discount|
|Motorcycle Rider Group Discount|
|Garaged or locked storage|
|MC Endorsement on License|
|Anti lock brakes|
West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Cheapest Insurance Rates by City
A surprising rating factor that underwriters take into consideration when setting insurance premiums, is the city you live in/zip code.
While this can be something slightly out of your control, it’s simply due to statistics. If a city is highly populated, there’s a higher chance of traffic accidents…and unfortunately the insurance rates will be higher.
However, we have done some work for you and researched some of the best places to get motorcycle insurance in your city. These specific insurance companies are known for their affordable rates and options for your specific zip code:
|Cities in West Virginia||Most Affordable Insurance Company for Motorcyclists|
|Hinton and Winfield||The General|
|Shady Spring and Philippi||Progressive|
|Oak Hill||The General|
|White Sulphur Springs||Dairyland|
West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Rating Factors
We mentioned zip code being a huge rating factor, and though it pains us to say it, there are a few other rating factors that you might not be able to control. Some of those include:
- age, marital status, gender, zip code, vehicle characteristics
Other rating factors that you can and SHOULD try your best to control, since they have an extremely big impact on your rates are:
- driving record, credit score, and insurance score
|Insurance Rating Factors (aka Why your Rates are high)|
|year make model)|
|Type of bike (engine size|
West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Motorcycle Safety Tips
The Division of Motor Vehicles has some great motorcycle safety tips that are worth your time to look over.
Not only should you be concerned about your own safety, and that of the safety of others on the road, but when it comes to insurance…each and every violation or accident can cause your insurance rate to skyrocket. So try to do everything in your power to prevent hurting yourself or others by doing the following:
- Avoid any alcohol and drugs…even at the legal limit…you want to have as a clear a head as possible.
- Have the required protective gear, and even if your state does not require it, be sure to wear a helmet, gloves, eye protection, sturdy shoes, long pants, and a jacket.
- Make sure your bike is in good condition
- Avoid overusing the throttle, and fast and harsh braking.
- Pay attention to the space around you and leave plenty of space between you and other vehicles.
- Slow down whenever visibility is compromised
- Make sure you practice before getting on the open road.
West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Liability Only Rates (by City)
The great thing about carrying liability only coverage, is that you are carrying what the state requires and driving legally. The other thing that is great about liability only, is that it is the cheapest insurance option out there for you if you are just needing the bare minimum requirements.
|City in West Virginia||Average Annual Rate|
|Shady Spring and Philippi||$112.00|
|Hinton and Winfield||$133.00|
|Inwood and Blennerhassett||$128.00|
West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Full Coverage Options
While it’s good to save money and go for the cheapest insurance options, there are some instances where you might want to consider having more than the minimum coverage.
If you are financing your motorcycle, chances are, your lienholder will require you to carry full coverage (comprehensive and collision).
Even if no one is requiring you to carry full coverage, think about the benefits of carrying extra coverage.
If your motorcycle is blown away in a windstorm, or if you hit a deer, a telephone pole, anything…full coverage will help prevent you having to shell out thousands of dollars in damages.
Consider the fact that in West Virginia, weather conditions are involved in 22% of all traffic accidents. And truthfully, adding comprehensive and collision might not dramatically increase your premium in some cases.
Ask your agent, or fill out our online quote to see what full coverage looks like for you.
|City in West Virginia||Average Annual Full Coverage|
|Hinton and Winfield||$189|
|White Sulphur Springs||$221|
|Shady Spring and Philippi||$184|
West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions
Who has the cheapest motorcycle insurance?
Insurance rates depend on many factors, and while one insurance company might have cheap rates for one individual, those rates might be doubled for another person with different circumstances.
However, we have had the most success finding our clients cheap motorcycle insurance rates with Progressive, The General, and Dairyland.
Why is motorcycle insurance so cheap?
Motorcycle Insurance can be very affordable because a motorcycle in itself is much cheaper than other vehicles like cars, SUVs, and trucks.
What does motorcycle insurance cover?
This depends on the type of coverage you select. If you select liability only, you are covering the property damage and injuries to another person, if you are at fault in an accident.
If you have full coverage, you are adding on comprehensive and collision insurance which covers non accident related damage caused by weather related incidents, theft, non vehicle collisions, etc.
Other West Virginia Insurance Guides
|Other Insurance Guides WV|
|SR-22 Insurance West Virginia|
|Auto Insurance Guide: WV|
|Homeowners Insurance WV|
Last Updated on by Lauren Mckenzie