MOTORCYCLISTS- START QUOTE NOW!
Motorcycle Insurance In Louisiana
Louisiana was named in honor of King Louis XIV, the King of France from 1643-1715 when it became claimed as French Territory. Louisiana is well known for it’s cajun culture, good food, jazz music, and Mardi Gras Festivals! The weather in Louisiana is generally great for riding most of the year, so let’s dive into the Insurance basics so we can get you back on the pavement!
- Motorcycle Insurance In Louisiana
- Coverage Options for Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana
- WHICH COMPANIES OFFER MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE IN LOUSIANA?
- Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana: Safety Tips
- Rating Factors for Motorcycle Insurance In Louisiana
- Best Rates for Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana (by City)
- Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana: Laws You Need to Know
- Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana: Ask Your Agent About These Discounts!
- Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana: How do You Get a License?
- Most Affordable Liability Rates for Motorcycle insurance in Louisiana
- Cheapest Full Coverage Rates for Motorcycle insurance in Louisiana
- Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana: Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Louisiana Insurance Guides
Coverage Options for Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana
Coverage options for Motorcycle Insurance can be very diverse.
If you own an older Motorcycle and are not necessarily worried about replacing the bike in an accident because of the value, you can insure for Liability only.
You need to carry at least the State Minimum Liability Limits, but you can also increase those limits for greater coverage.
You can also add Uninsured Motorist coverage and Medical Payments which is still considered a liability policy.
If you are financing, or purchase a new Motorcycle that you wish to carry full coverage on, you can add Comprehensive and Collision Coverage. That will cover anything that should happen to the bike.
In addition, you can add Rental Reimbursement, Roadside/Trip Interruption. Most companies, like Progressive Insurance, offer Accessory coverage which is included in the quote.
|Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana: Coverage Options|
|Physical Damage Plus|
|Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury|
|Guest Passenger Liability|
|Uninsured Motorist Property damage|
|Safety riding apparel|
|Transport Trailer coverage|
WHICH COMPANIES OFFER MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE IN LOUSIANA?
Many Insurance companies offer main products, such as Auto Insurance, Home Insurance, and Motorcycle Insurance – but not all do.
It is best to find a reputable Insurance provider that offers and specializes in all of the products you may need, such as Auto and Motorcycle so that you can bundle the two policies together to save more money.
However, all Insurance companies vary in price depending on the product, so it does not hurt to shop around to see who has the cheapest motorcycle insurance.
Some of the smaller named companies could offer cheaper rates, but always do your research on the company before purchasing so you know you are getting quality service.
At A Plus Insurance, we shop multiple companies to find you the most affordable prices, and we pride ourselves on providing the best service to our customers.
Our top insurance carriers that sell great motorcycle policies are Dairyland and Progressive.
Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana: Safety Tips
Looking to start heading out on the free road, but need some safety tips?
- Number one, a very important safety tip, is to always wear a helmet and if you have a passenger make sure they are wearing one as well. This can mean the difference between life or death in the event of an accident; helmets save lives!
- Purchase yourself good quality, leather riding gear such as a jacket, chaps, gloves, and eye wear if needed.
- Make sure to check the weather conditions before planning your ride, and always keep appropriate documents with you while riding in case you were to be pulled over.
- Follow all driving laws, such as proper lane switching, using your blinker, and driving the speed limit.
- Bikes can be hard to spot on the road, so by being extra vigilant and safe, it makes the road safer for everyone around.
Rating Factors for Motorcycle Insurance In Louisiana
Like auto Insurance, Motorcycle Insurance has rating factors that are taken into account when determining Insurance premiums.
The basic rating factors include; location, age, gender, marital status, credit, and driving history.
All of this information is used to help determine a potential risk for Insurance companies, and a driver that is low risk will see cheaper Insurance prices.
Other factors that are considered is the type of bike (year, make, model), coverages desired, driving safety course completed, group affiliation, continuous Insurance, etc.
Prices will fluctuate in areas if there has been an increase in accidents/claims.
Insurance companies typically do a ‘rate revision’ every few months, or every renewal for current customers where they gather driving statistics, and calculate the number of accidents/claims in that amount of time. If the number has gone up, that means Insurance companies have had to pay out for more claims, which typically results in an increase in premium for all customers in that area.
|Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana: Rating Factors|
|Type of bike (engine size|
|year make model)|
Best Rates for Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana (by City)
Why does location matter when it comes to Motorcycle Insurance prices?
The amount of claims and accidents in an area is a rating factor Insurance providers use to determine the premium, as mentioned briefly above.
They not only look at your area, but surrounding areas as well to determine if there has been an increase in claims and accidents.
A city with fewer people, generally means less drivers on the road, and less accidents. A Highly populated city leads to more drivers, and more accidents, which will cost more for Insurance in that area.
Do your part and keep the Insurance prices low for everyone by driving safe at all times.
Curious to see the average cost for Motorcycle Insurance in your city? Check below for the average cost.
|City in Louisiana||Best Liability Rate|
|Oak Hills Place||$100.00|
|Fort Polk South||$117.00|
Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana: Laws You Need to Know
In Louisiana, you must carry at least the State Minimum Liability Requirements which are: $15,000 for bodily Injury per individual, up to $30,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage.Your liability limit will pay out to the other party if you are found At Fault in an accident or in other words, ‘liable’.
You can increase your liability limits for greater coverage, but it is not required by law.
You will also need to obtain a Motorcycle License to make you legal to operate on and off road. You can either take a written exam, or an approved Safety Course, and pay the fees for your license. It is generally simple to pass these exams if you’ve practiced, and know what you are doing while operating a bike.
Check with your local Louisiana DMV to schedule your road test once you are ready!
Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana: Ask Your Agent About These Discounts!
Discounts, discounts and more discounts! Who doesn’t love to save money on their Motorcycle Insurance?
More money in your pocket means more gas money for your trips!
While Insurance companies all vary with discounts offered, here are the main discounts you should look for:
- Continuous Insurance Discount, this is applied when you have had at least 6 months of consecutive Insurance, and you switch to another company. You can save big with this discount applied!
- Next, violations; if you have a squeaky clean driving record which means no Accidents in the past 5 years, or violations in the past 3 years, you are optimizing your discounts.
- Next, paperless discount, EFT discount, and pay in full discount are all favorable for Insurance companies which can save you additional money on your premium.
- Companies like Progressive and Geico also offer Advanced quoting discounts, which applies if you call ahead of time and have the quote dated out in advance, instead of purchasing it that same day.
- Smaller discounts that may apply is the married discount, home owner discount, and continuous Education/Occupation discount.
- Other discounts include Bundling multiple policies with one company, Motorcycle Safety courses, MC Endorsement, and Motorcycle Affiliation Group. Studies show that drivers who are affiliated with a Motorcycle Group are more likely to uphold the laws while driving, and are safer drivers.
If you are currently Insured, check with your provider to make sure you are maximizing your discounts! If your Insurance company does not offer these discounts, call around to see if you can get a better price with another company that loves giving out discounts so you can save money.
|Discount Opportunities for Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana|
|Operators Safety Course|
|Years of riding experience|
|Operator’s Education Course|
|Multi Lines Discount|
|Motorcycle Rider Group Discount|
|Garaged or locked storage|
|MC Endorsement on License|
|approved safety course|
|vehicle usage & Mileage|
Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana: How do You Get a License?
In Louisiana, obtaining your Motorcycle License is quite simple.
First, you will need to schedule your written exam, or safety driving course with the DMV. Louisiana gives you the option to complete and pass either of the two.
You will need to bring appropriate documentation with you, such as ID and exam fees.
Once you have passed your choice of exam or safety course, you will be handed your Motorcycle License and you are ready to purchase Insurance now.
Once you’ve registered your bike, and purchased Motorcycle Insurance, you are legally able to drive.
Most Affordable Liability Rates for Motorcycle insurance in Louisiana
Liability Insurance on your Motorcycle is generally very affordable!
Liability is the minimum required coverage you must carry, but you can also adjust the coverages by increasing the liability limit, or adding additional coverages such as Uninsured Motorist and Medical payments.
The cost for Motorcycle Insurance is much more affordable than Auto Insurance because the value of most bikes are not as high as an automobile.
Also, drivers with a clean driving record will see extra cheap Insurance prices because they have maintained a clean record which makes them less likely to end up in an accident/ filing a claim.
|City in Louisiana||Average Liability Rate|
|Fort Polk South||$134.00|
Cheapest Full Coverage Rates for Motorcycle insurance in Louisiana
On average, the cost for full coverage Motorcycle Insurance is cheap.
Some companies charge the minimum they can for a bike, which means you can add full coverage for little to $0 extra.
Not sure what this means?
The Insurance company is rating that bike for a certain cost to insure, and not charging any extra for full coverage. Why wouldn’t you want full coverage on your bike if it costs the same as liability?
Check with our Insurance professionals to see what extra coverages you can get for little to nothing.
|City in Louisiana||Avg. Full Coverage Rates|
|Fort Leonard Wood||$199|
|Lake St. Louis||$235|
Motorcycle Insurance in Louisiana: Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does Motorcycle Insurance cost in Louisiana?
Motorcycle Insurance is generally very cheap in Louisiana, but it does depend upon the Insurance provider, the driver and driving history, and the type of bike and coverages desired.
- Is insurance required on a Motorcycle In Louisiana?
Yes, Liability Insurance is required on a Motorcycle in Louisiana. By Law, you must carry at least the State Minimum limits which are $15,000 for bodily Injury per individual, up to $30,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage.
- What State has the cheapest Motorcycle Insurance?
All states vary in price when it comes to Insurance costs, so it is hard to say which State is the cheapest. Check with your nearest city for average prices
- What is Motorcycle Insurance?
Like Automobiles, motorcycle Insurance consists of at least Liability coverage, and you can add full coverage if needed. Liability will pay out to the other party if you are found At Fault or ‘Liable’ in an accident.
- Why do you need Motorcycle Insurance?
You need to carry at least the State Minimum LIability Insurance because it is required by law. If you are financing or purchasing a new bike, you may need full coverage which will cover your own Motorcycle in the event of an accident.
Other Louisiana Insurance Guides
Last Updated on by Veronica Moss