19 Tips To Protect Yourself While Traveling (And Avoid Filing Insurance Claims!)
If you are like most humans, you spent most of 2020 and 2021 cooped up in your home.
And here we are approaching another holiday season, still deep into the pandemic….yet again.
But while many people canceled their 2020 holiday travel plans…in 2021 people are proving willing to take the risk and are making travel arrangements.
There are plenty of guides out there on how to protect yourself from the virus…but many people forget about protecting their home and personal belongings.
Before heading off onto your adventure, be sure to keep the following tips in mind to protect yourself while traveling, and to protect your home.
Before Leaving Your House:
1. Tell a neighbor about your summer plans, they can help lookout for any suspicious activity.
2. Be sure all windows and doors are locked.
3. Put away patio furniture and yard tools.
4. Make sure no appliances are left on or toilets running.
Once you are at the airport:
5. When traveling alone, spot a safe buddy while you travel. Someone you can befriend that can help keep an eye on your luggage.
6. Put your laptop on the belt last so that you can keep an eye on it.
7. Worried about your carry on luggage, store it across from you, so you keep an eye on it.
Traveling by car:
8. Check batteries, tire condition, and engine coolant before heading out
9. Make sure you have your phone charger, waters, snacks and an emergency roadside kit.
10. Sun glare is dangerous while driving, keep an extra pair of sunglasses handy.
11. Stop for breaks to avoid fatigue and avoid eating behind the wheel.
12. Stay off your phone or other devices.
13. Distribute luggage evenly throughout the vehicle.
14. Know your route with and without GPS.
15. Pay attention to all warning signs, construction signs, and speed limits.
At your vacation destination:
16. Avoid the temptation to post about your vacation on social media; this alerts criminals to a vacant house.
17. Be sure to share your itinerary with a friend or family member. So they know when and where you should be at all times.
18. Don’t carry all your cash, credit cards or passports in the same place. Keep some money on you and pack the rest in a safe place.
19. Make two copies of your passport, leave one at home and take the second with you when sightseeing. Leave the original in the safety of your hotel room.
Finally, have fun and relax. It’s summer! For additional peace of mind, give us a call to make sure you have adequate auto and homeowners coverage. It’s always best to be prepared for the unexpected.
|Other Insurance Guides by City|
|Insurance Grand Junction|
|Auto Insurance Wasilla|
|Auto Insurance Elgin|
|Auto Insurance Pueblo|
|Insurance Fort Collins|
|Car Insurance Spartanburg|
|Cheap Car Insurance Texas|
Last Updated on October 6, 2021 by Veronica Moss