In the state of South Carolina, you are expected to carry the following types of insurance to be in compliance with the law:
- Liability – This covers you in the event of an accident in which you are at fault and where someone was injured or killed as a result of your negligence. If you do not have this type of insurance, you could be fined up to $550 for a first offense, with subsequent fees after that. Also, you may be legally liable for any damages you caused to people or vehicles in the crash.
- Uninsured motorist coverage– Uninsured motorist insurance covers you if the person who hits you has no insurance or insufficient insurance to cover the damages. This type of insurance is also a requirement in the state of South Carolina
What about full coverage?
Full coverage is considered insurance for liability, combined with collision insurance, and comprehensive. Comprehensive insurance covers those situations that happen outside of your driving on the highways such as theft, hail damage, or falling objects. Ask your online insurance experts to explain the difference and remember that not all comprehensive is the same. You’ll have to check the policies you are considering to know what they cover in each different case.
Why do I have to carry insurance?
Car insurance is a financial necessity. You may not think about it, but your finances are only secure in that you can control the outcome of what happens to your money. When you drive without insurance, you can no longer control the outcome because you could be in an accident in which you are fined huge amounts of money or end up in a lawsuit with another driver. Often, you may have to pay thousands of dollars in damages if the plaintiff can show negligence on your part.
You may also lose your car if it is damaged severely in the wreck with no way to replace it. If you have an accident with no insurance, you must pay all of the damages out of your pocket for all repairs and liabilities.
Fatalities on South Carolina Roadways.
If you were guilty of a DWI, it gets more complicated. Depending on whether it was your first offense or not and the severity of the accident, you could be cited for a felony conviction on every DUI conviction. This means you would have a criminal record and this one mistake can cost you thousands in court fees, plus the loss or damage of your vehicle and any subsequent injuries you caused others in the accident.
South Carolina law requires that you carry liability and uninsured insurance at all times. You must also have your insurance cards with you and proof of your automobile policy if you are stopped by a police officer in a routine traffic stop.
If you cannot locate your proof of insurance,
It is important that you look into your options for car insurance and motorcycle insurance if you drive a motorcycle. You may be able to purchase low cost affordable or cheap insurance simply by comparing policies and looking for discount insurance.
About High-Risk Insurance Policies
If you have had at least one DUI on your driving record in the past three years or so, you may not qualify for normal insurance. Instead, you may have to apply for high-risk insurance. Paper evidence must also back such insurance. This certificate of insurance for high-risk drivers is sometimes referred to as a “sr22” certificate. You must carry your sr22 certificate in your vehicle with you at all times.
Specific Insurance Requirements in SC
The following are the specific requirements in SC for auto insurance or motorcycle insurance:
- $25,000 for bodily injury or death per person.
- $50,000 total for bodily injury or death per accident.
- $25,000 for property damage.
- Uninsured motorist protection
Make sure that you have these amounts of auto insurance or motorcycle insurance as a minimum. Then, if you have an accident, you will have the security in knowing that you’ll are at least compliant with the state of South Carolina’s insurance requirement. It will also ensure you that you will not have to pay out-of-pocket for legal fees if someone sues you for damages.
What about insurance discounts?
As mentioned before, you may be able to locate reductions on your insurance. It helps to compare different types of policies and companies to see which one will give you the best deal. Below are some of the types of auto insurance discounts you may qualify for:
- Good driving reduction– A good driving reduction in premiums is sometimes offered to drivers who do not have any major driving points on their record for the past three years. In general, driving records are kept for up to three years.
You can check to see if you have had an offense drop off your record after that time,
which may lower your general insurance rates.
- Student– If you are a student of a secondary institution such as a college or trade school with good standing, you may qualify for a reduction in premiums.
- Military – People who have served in the military (active or retired) may also get some of their premium reduced for their military status.
- Civil service – If you work in any federal or civil service job, you may also find opportunities for reduced insurance premiums.
There may be other ways you can save on your car insurance in South Carolina. It would benefit you to look around and see what kind of insurance policy you can own for just a few dollars more (or less) than you are paying now.
Other Kinds of Insurance to Consider:
- Home owners insurance. This helps protect your home in the event of damage due to fire, storms, or other “acts of nature.”
- Boat Insurance. Similar to auto insurance, boat policies help protect damage you may cause to other boaters, and additionally protect damage you may cause your boat (in the event of an accident) if you have included comprehensive and collision coverage.
- Motor cycle insurance. This is a requirement for the state of South Carolina to register and operate a motorcycle on the roads. Again, state minimum liability limits must be purchased, and you also have the option to purchase additional protection on most bikes including comprehensive and collision coverage. That way, you’ll know that, no matter what happens, you’re covered.
If you’re still having hesitations about buying insurance, think about this: Car insurance is the umbrella that you need, but hope you never have to use. Check out our insurance offerings and let us know if you have any questions. Getting insurance now will help you to protect your financial interests. Look around and see what we offer.
If you buy insurance now, you will know that tomorrow is secure.